Truffles covered in white membrane.

More information about how to use them, what dosage etc.

Truffles covered in white membrane.

Unread postby microd » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:52 am

Hi, I recently purchased a 15gr. pack of Mexicana A. intended for microdosing. The moment they arrived I put them in the lower compartment of the fridge (unopened).
The next day I opened the pack, consumed 1gram and placed them back into the plastic box they came in (and the plastic box within another bigger box to hide it from my roommates). After 3 days that I microdosed again, truffles were still OK.

But one week later, the truffles were covered in a white membrane. Not sure if it is mucus but it is easily removable either by scratching or washing. Once the membrane is removed, the color of the truffles is (I think) normal.

So my question is this: Is this something normal and safe? Can I still consume them if I wash them? Or did they go bad? And if they went bad, why did it happen so fast since I followed the preservation guidelines and they were supposed to last for a month in the fridge?

Thanks for the answer!
microd

Re: Truffles covered in white membrane.

Unread postby Mr. Truffles » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 am

microd wrote:Hi, I recently purchased a 15gr. pack of Mexicana A. intended for microdosing. The moment they arrived I put them in the lower compartment of the fridge (unopened).
The next day I opened the pack, consumed 1gram and placed them back into the plastic box they came in (and the plastic box within another bigger box to hide it from my roommates). After 3 days that I microdosed again, truffles were still OK.

But one week later, the truffles were covered in a white membrane. Not sure if it is mucus but it is easily removable either by scratching or washing. Once the membrane is removed, the color of the truffles is (I think) normal.

So my question is this: Is this something normal and safe? Can I still consume them if I wash them? Or did they go bad? And if they went bad, why did it happen so fast since I followed the preservation guidelines and they were supposed to last for a month in the fridge?

Thanks for the answer!

Hi microd,

Since truffles are a "living" product, it can happen that a white mist or white fluff "grows" on the truffles. This is harmless, and in fact it is actually healthy. The truffle forms new mycelium, and thus it is its own mold that you see growing. You should wash the truffles only with cold water before you eat them.

To look if they went bad: you should cut the pieces and if it's inside black or they soft and moisture don't eat them.

Regards,
Mr. Truffles
Mr. Truffles
Site Admin

Return to Magic Truffles: How to use them